The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olukayode Popoola, said on Friday the repair work on the Third Mainland Bridge was progressing rapidly, and the first phase would be delivered on schedule in October.
Popoola told journalists Lagos that almost all the bad expansion joints had been pulled out and would be replaced as soon as the weather becomes clement.
He said with the rapid progress being achieved in the construction, the first phase of the project along the Oworonshoki-bound carriageway would be completed on schedule.
He said: “We have been able to cut all the six expansion joints, we have removed the concrete, we have pulled out four, remaining two.
“Hopefully, we are still looking at October and assured that we will complete the work on the Oworonsoki-bound lane.”
Third Mainland Bridge was partially shut for repairs on July 24 for another round of rehabilitation works.
The repair work is expected to last for six months and divided into two phases of three months on each carriageway, starting with the Oworonshoki-bound lane.
Speaking on the Eko Bridge, Popoola said the contract for phase two rehabilitation of the bridge had been awarded and it captured all worn-out expansion joints on the bridge.
“All those places that have depression on the bridge will be taken care of properly,” the controller added.