Brazilian football legend, Pele underwent surgery to remove a tumor from his right
colon last Saturday. The news of the surgery was made via his social media account
on Monday, September 6.
The 80-year-old sports icon is recovering well in the ICU following the removal of the
tumor, according to his doctors at Hospital Israelite Albert Einstein in São Paulo.
During one of the cardiovascular and laboratory tests, doctors had found a suspicious
lesion in his right colon, which was discovered to be a tumor said Dr. Fabio Narsi
and Dr. Miguel Cendoroglo Neto in a statement.
The Brazil legend took to social media to confirm the news and says he is optimistic
about his recovery
Brazil legend Pele has confirmed he has had successful surgery to remove a tumor
from his colon.
The three-time World Cup winner revealed the tumor had been discovered during
tests in hospital last week.
The 80-year-old is remaining optimistic about his recovery and says he will keep a
smile on his face during the process.
The news comes just a few days after Pele was forced to deny reports he had fainted
in hospital as rumors swirled about his health.
“Guys, I didn’t faint and I’m in very good health,” he posted on social media.
“I went for my routine exams, which I had not been able to do before because of the
pandemic. Let them know I don’t play next Sunday!”
Pele is widely agreed to be one of the best footballers of all time, having excelled on
the national and world stage for over a decade.
He scored over 1,000 goals for club and country throughout his career, with most of
his club goals coming for Santos.
The former striker played at four World Cups and was part of three winning Brazil
teams, in 1958, 1962 and 1970. He is also Brazil’s all-time top goalscorer with 77
goals in 92 appearances.