Miami building collapse death toll reaches 16 as four more bodies found
The death toll from the Champlain Towers South Condo rose to 16 Wednesday evening
with another 147 people still unaccounted for. Search and rescue crews found the victims
on Tuesday night, Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah told family members
during a briefing on Wednesday morning.
The victims’ next of kin were not immediately identified. Crews found other human
remains in addition to the four bodies, Jadallah said.
Florida officials asked the federal government for more rescue teams members as they
continued to comb through rubble six days after Champlain Towers South partially
collapsed in Surfside, Florida.
Dump trucks were seen leaving the site Wednesday full of debris that had been moved
out of the way.
Work at the site has been deliberate and treacherous. The pancake collapse of the
building left layer upon layer of intertwined debris, frustrating efforts to reach anyone
who may have survived in a pocket of space.
Several members of an Israeli rescue team worked partly on hands and knees Tuesday
over a small section of the rubble, digging with shovels, pickaxes, and saws. They removed
debris into buckets that were dumped into a metal construction bin, which was
periodically lifted away by a crane. The crane then delivered an empty bin.
Late Tuesday afternoon, rescue officials sounded a horn for a second time during the
day’s work, signaling an approaching storm with lightning. Workers temporarily