A car exploded and was destroyed by flames when the driver used hand
sanitizer while smoking. The vehicle was completely destroyed in the inferno which
happened at around 5.30 pm in a shopping center car park in Rockville, Maryland.
The driver of the vehicle – who accidentally started the fire – managed to escape
with only minor burns. According to the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service,
the driver was smoking a cigarette while sat in his vehicle, and then started to use hand
sanitizer. But without warning the lit cigarette ignited the flammable hygiene product
and ended up turning the car into a flaming wreck.
The man was taken to the hospital with minor burns and non-life-threatening,
fire officials said. Firefighters put out the blaze and have said the incident should act
as a warning to others about the dangers of using hand sanitizer around flammable
products. A spokesperson for the fire service said: ‘using hand sanitizer and smoking a
cigarette is a bad combo in un-ventilated areas like a car’.