Former world champion Scott Mitchell slams BDO bosses as ‘cringe-worthy’
social media row rocks the darts
A Facebook row erupted on Friday night when Lincolnshire-based BDO chief Des Jacklin
revealed he had travelled more than 400 miles to pick up the World Championship trophy
from South Wales Police.
The trophy had been reclaimed by cops from 2020 winner Wayne Warren, who wanted to
keep it after being paid just £23,000 for winning the title 13 months ago.
Dozens and dozens of darts fans slated Jacklin for taking back the silverware and accused
him of breaking lockdown rules, which he has denied.
Mitchell, who won the Lakeside title in 2015, hit out at the scandal and the demise of the
long-standing British Darts Organisation.
The 50-year-old, who will play on the PDC circuit this year after winning a tour card on
On the final day at Q School, said: “I think most people are sad.
“The BDO made me, it was a great system at its time. The goings-on are just cringe-
worthy, particularly Friday night.
“If nothing else it shows the lack of intelligence that is needed in the situation.
“I feel for Wayne. I feel for all the players. Some got to quarters, they were relying on that
seven or eight grand to cover their costs which they’d spent all year trying to do.
“There’s lots of people in the same boat as Wayne, he could have retired off that. But
some guys just got left in debt.”
Paul Nicholson, the 2010 Players Championship winner, questioned whether Ladies
World Champ Mikuru Suzuki and Youth Champ Keane Barry still had their trophies.
He said: “Does Mikuru still have her trophy? It’ll take one or two brave or stupid people
to go after that now as well. And what about Keane Barry too?
“I read what you all read and I’m still irate.”