Prince Philip is set to remain in hospital over the weekend and he is not allowed
any royal visitors.
The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, has spent a third night in London’s King Edward VII Hospital.
He has been told he needs to stay in bed for “rest and observation” after taken
ill at Windsor Castle earlier this week.
Philip was taken to hospital on Tuesday and is expected to remain there for several
more days – including over the weekend.
But under strict COVID-19 rules, Philip faces a lonely stay in his private room as
visitors are banned.
The Queen and other royals would only be allowed inside during “exceptional
Her Majesty, 94, and her husband have been protected from Covid-19 for a year by a
group of loyal staff dubbed HMS Bubble.
A source said: “Everyone loves a visitor when they are feeling low in hospital but the
Duke will be extremely stoic about it.
“He knows the nation is sending their thoughts and prayers. The Duke has been in
HMS Bubble for almost a year so he is used to all kinds of restrictions.
“He has barely been able to see his family for the past year. He knows only too
well, people have been going through worse than him.”
Prince Philip has been treated at the same London hospital for several ailments
in previous years.
It is understood he had felt unwell for several days before royal doctors ordered him
to hospital as a “precautionary measure”.
He was driven 26 miles from Windsor Castle in a private car and walked into the hospital
King Edward VII follows national health guidelines on Covid-19. Patients are not
allowed visitors or friends to accompany them.
Yesterday, a spokesman said: “Visitors are not allowed apart from exceptional
Philip had his virus jab six weeks ago and his admission is not as a result of Covid.
All patients are tested for the virus before being admitted and in their rooms.
The Duke is used to being surrounded by restrictions after almost a year of moving
between Windsor Castle, Balmoral, and Sandringham with just a small staff.