Mexican footballer, Rodrigo Alain Cuevas has leg amputated after electric shock
Rodrigo Alain Cuevas was a forward for Ciervos Chalco FC in the Liga Premier, the third tier of football
in Mexico City.
The club said in a statement that Cuevas, 27, had suffered third-degree burns from a high-voltage electrical
discharge. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Cuevas was prevented from being treated in Mexico City
and was transferred to the Sinaloan town of Culiacan where he was operated on three days after the incident
“When I suffered the accident, none of the hospitals in the [city of] Mexico could admit me because they
were full of COVID-19 [cases],” Cuevas wrote on social media. “Thanks to a contact, I was transferred by
ambulance to Culiacan, where I was admitted.”
Cuevas posted a photograph on Facebook from his hospital bed after the operation giving a thumbs up
and wrote: “My left foot was shattered. The surgeon and the doctors, as they should be, were honest and direct
with me and my parents.’
“What they told us was that my foot had to be amputated because it was too infected and if it was not operated
on, it would put my life at risk.