Manchester United and Edinson Cavani issue statement after misconstrued Instagram post
Manchester United and their striker Edison Cavani have released a statement on the Instagram Story post
Cavani came on to rescue a stunning win for Manchester United as Southampton threw away a two-goal lead at
St Mary’s on Sunday.
Cavani has ‘sincerely apologized’ for causing any offense over an Instagram post following Manchester
United’s Premier League win over Southampton.
Ralph Hasenhuttl’s Southampton were coasting as they headed into half-time in control thanks to goals from Jan
Bednarek and James Ward-Prowse, while David de Gea went off injured at the interval to add to United’s woes.
Cavani said in a statement issued by United: “The message I posted after the game on Sunday was intended
as an affectionate greeting to a friend, thanking him for his congratulations after the game.
the 33-year-old posted the message, once United had been made aware of Cavani’s choice of words.
Cavani told that the use of the word ‘negrito’ was ill-judged and can be interpreted differently in
the UK as opposed to his homeland.
Cavani insisted he meant no harm and has tendered an apology. He added The last thing I wanted to do
was offend anyone. I am completely opposed to racism and deleted the message as soon as
it was explained that it can be interpreted differently. I would like to sincerely apologize for this.”